Spring Flowers

Spring Flowers
For Sale

Friday, June 07, 2013

Finding Warmth -

I had several phone conversations with my sister in Michigan before I packed my bags, got in the car and drove all the way north.  I can clearly remember her saying, “Be sure to bring shorts and light tops because June is HOT.”  I brought one light sweater and one long sleeve ‘warmer’ shirt and everything else is light / airy / cool.  So far I’ve been wrapped in the sweater most days.  If the sun is shining and you are standing in the sun the feeling of warmth is perfect, but stand in shadow, sit in the house, stand in the wind and it is – guess what – COLD.  Having lived 40 years in the south and even farther south, South America, I think that her definition of Hot and mine are very far apart.  Is just a matter of blood thickness and mental preparedness. 
This week I walked in the Hidden Lake Gardens in the Irish Hills of southern Michigan and found colors that warm us.  Hope you enjoy.DSCN0419

DSCN0434  DSCN0486

DSCN0496

6 comments:

  1. I suspect Michigan and Sweden are more alike. We've had an unusually sunny and warm period here for the time of year But not really hot except in the direct sunlight.Suits me just fine :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes even though the temp is down where you are these photos radiate warmth because of their color. Love that first photo.
    QMM

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful crisp colours in these pictures. Sorry that it's so cold for you, but being with family will help warm things up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You sound like me when I first came to New Zealand, Ginger. I didn't take off my jacket for three summers and I now I frolick half naked if no-one is watching. Love your warm colours, especially the first shot which is exquisite.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wait till you are here in my tropical island of Singapore, and you'll be toasted! It's hot,all year long.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't believe you drove that far! I know people's perspective of heat is based on what they are used too. We were driving to the Vermont mountains one summer and were happily watching the thermometer drop from the 100s to the 80s as we approached. When we arrived, out hotel receptionist was saying how the excessive heat was so terrible. Here, we thought it refreshing!

    ReplyDelete