Spring Flowers

Spring Flowers
For Sale

Thursday, March 11, 2010

My town FSO - Wrought Iron

This week I arrived in Houston for a month with my daughter and her family. Normally when in Houston I have done the week’s shoot-out here. But last week while in Friburgo, I took some photos just for this shoot out and had a planned story.
When I left Friburgo on Wednesday last week I packed my computer bag and at the last minute decided to leave my external drive = my photo archives = my new way of keeping photos I’ve taken for future topics in neat little folders. I thought it is just too much work to haul everything all around airports, to lift the computer bag full of wires, and stuff up into the overhead bins, ‘I’ll just leave it here.’ Completely forgoting about my new filing system ….
Without my photos from Friburgo I had to begin looking here for interesting wrought iron…. nothing, nothing, nothing. Today I remembered that I had forwarded several shots to my photo subject…. and that if I found that email I would DSC_1091_thumb[2][1]have photos to use. I found those 6 plus have a few extras pulled from prior posts. So here is my story, 1however abbreviated....
In the Friburgo area, wrought iron is used as decoration and as security for doors and windows. It decorates the walls inside and outside of homes, it is used for tables and for chairs. I suppose this is not much different than other towns, what I find unusual here in Brazil, and especially in Nova Friburgo, is that you can go to any number of stores (lojas) that sell these items made right there on site, and if you don’t find what you want, the right size, the right shape – just what you want, you can speak directly to the ferreiro and ask to have something made.
We have a headboard (no photo) in the master bedroom where I took in an ad from a magazine from the States and two weeks later had just what I wanted installed in the room. We had a small corner in the apartment in Rio that needed a small table – which we drew a picture with measurements and after buying a special cut piece of glass – had a just right, small table filling the space. (in the back corner)


DSC_3098_thumb[7][1]
I thought that you might enjoy seeing this process…. now you have to realize that most of my photos are in Friburgo – I am sorry that I was not able to show you a complete process…. I will do this in April after returning home. I promise!
For now meet a modern day artisan and his beautiful daughter who runs the store. They very generously let me wonder around and take photos and I thank them ……
6 8 2 3 4 5

19 comments:

  1. Wow--that is cool that you can custom order it. I loved your pictures of the process!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Iron work is terrific and these pictures of the process of making it are great. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, it is so neat to see the process. It looks hot and probably noisy, too, and what great pictures it make for. Great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The finished articles are very nice, but it's good to see some of the process too.
    Great captures Ginger, and how good of the craftsman to alow you to take pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love those on the windows!What a nice pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can imagine the sparks flying out like fireworks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful portraits and I like the sparks shots too. More on this whole thing would be good when you get home.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey that is neat getting to see the process. I forgot I have an old gate in my garden that I had made near where I live. There is so much to learn from these FSO I just love it. Enjoy your time with your daughter.
    Blessings
    QMM

    ReplyDelete
  9. Excellent! Excellent! Ginger. You need to take a bow over this one. I love the shots of the manufacturing process.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh how wonderful. Action shots! That is just terrific.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks, Ginger; it's a real treat to see the artisans behind the work! You see a fair amount of wrought iron in France too, and more chairs & tables the farther you go south. It somehow goes with living outdoors a lot. Your pictures are great.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow wow wow ...what a wonderful shoot out..love the action shots of the welding..wow!! Beautiful work and beautiful faces!!
    Hugs, Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nice job Ginger. The action photos are cool, but the iron work in the window is magnificent.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Gorgeous!! Your photos are stunning, the way you captured the sparks flying....beautiful!

    Enjoy Houston for me - I did get your sweet note offering to bring me stuff, but my hubby has surprised me and I will be in Houston for Easter weekend, just long enough to meet my dad's fiance & see his family. And make a grocery run ; ) I can't wait!!

    And, yea, I'd leave the external hard drive, too. Who wants to lug all of that through security??

    ReplyDelete
  15. nice job Ginger, if that's your photo you could make a million doing Dental advertisement's Great smile..
    interesting post


    yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  16. Always something different and interesting over here GingerV, and this is no exception. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love that you connected with an artist - wonderful action shots.

    ReplyDelete
  18. You, forget the internet, we had storms and I have not been able to go to the various sites.

    Forget the wrought iron, I am leaving hubby for that gorgeous Iron worker, he he

    Nice shots GV, I dreamed of learning to work with metal as an artist, but never had the money to take the proper classes. Maybe before I go one day a gorgeous man will sit behind me while we mold metal and a song will play- wait they already made a movie out of that one! LOL sorry being silly

    ReplyDelete
  19. in my opinion, best shoot out for this theme. the work in action!! awesome shots GingerV!!

    ReplyDelete