Spring Flowers

Spring Flowers
For Sale

Thursday, January 07, 2010

My Town Friday Shoot-out / Fences

DSC_0832 This week’s shoot-out is fences. In the beginning, way at the beginning when I was logging in everyone’s ideas, I thought ‘fences’?  How do they spotlight our towns?

But thinking back, thinking about all the places, the towns large and small, that I have visited I began to see that FENCES are one of the details about towns that give it its distinctive flavor. Fences reflect base cultures. The designs reflect the personalities of its inhabitants. They show how the town’s people relate to others, its neighbors and its visitors. Even no fences tells us something about the towns and its people.

 
This area of Brasil, the state of Rio de Janeiro, consists of mostly multi family housing. High rise apartments, converted buildings and apartments built above the commercial streets. There are small gardens or more basic entry areas that are usually fenced – some are ornamental, some barely functional.
 
In Friburgo, if you go out of the center area to barrios like Conégo or private condominiums like where we live, there are many versions of ‘privacy’ fences. These often have a second or even third function of providing an illusion of security and/or retainer walls holding back water or possible mudslides.  If there is no need of a retainer wall then the fences of preference here are made of small cedar bushes or other flowering shrubs.  What this ends up showing us is the need for privacy in an area where too many people live and the basic cultural habit of keeping family close and ‘others’ at arm length.  From the roads houses are hidden, only the roof lines and the gates hint at the size or the wealth that may be hidden behind the fence.
 
DSC_0845  DSC_0835  DSC_9109
 
DSC_7152  DSC_7311  DSC_9108

23 comments:

  1. Oh I like your fences, nice gingerv!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ginger, you should never apologize for your shoot-outs. They are always top shelf. Very nice! I enjoyed the explanation of why your fences are what they are.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gordon, sorry my comment sounded like I was apologizing - I just wish I could string together thoughts the way you do until they are poetry. I just am a pretty straight and literal person, in the end am happy with that....

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like your collection of fence shots but I find the most interesting one to be the last one. It makes me curious to want to know what is on the other side.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My favorite one is the stone fence, and I really like the next to last.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love seeing all the classic fences!

    ReplyDelete
  7. For me, the bottom left: I just like the composition. But I find it very interesting to ponder the idea of privacy fences/hedges in a densely populated region where the vegetation obviously grows so quickly. Beautiful photos.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is very interesting Ginger. My favorite photos are the last three. I love the one wall that is completely covered with shrubs. It is very pretty. But the bluish colored fence/gate is crying for exploration. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello Ginger, I love that old blue gate, and the way you've thought about how people are using their fences in Brasil.
    Have a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can see different fences here plus the great interpretation. I love green surroundings too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your shootout and while looking at it, I realized something about your style...your photos are always rich and full. They give a wonderful sense of "lushness" in Brazil.

    ReplyDelete
  12. After visiting your blog for about a year now I am starting to get a feel for your area and its lush vegetation. The photos are beautiful and certainly demonstrate your comments about each place having it only unique character as exemplified by its fences.

    I especially like the blue-green gateway at the bottom.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ginger-
    I love fences that are covered in vines, it makes me think of quaint cottages and historic places. Fences can't keep certain plants in, can they?

    ReplyDelete
  14. the colored fences are my favorites - great job!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great photos. I agree with what you said about fences reflecting culture.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love the shot of the ivy covered fence - interesting that the ivy retains the basic shape of the structure beneath.

    ReplyDelete
  17. these are all so unique and interesting to me. unlike any fences I have seen. great job!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. The third photo from the end is my favourite. I visualize a tiny, magical world underneath the leaves.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love the second last, the blue green gate. It so invites exploration! But also your narrative, the explanation - that is great!

    ReplyDelete
  20. In my city very few front gardens are fenced but most back gardens are. And of course if you have a swimming pool that has to have a fence around it. I like your shots of the over grown fences.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Gorgeous photos, Ginger and I love the information you included about them

    ReplyDelete
  22. OH! I love the one of the railing - that is so good - the handrail leads your eye right through the frame - beautifully done!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I always like fences with creepers growing, make it less hard and harsh.

    Two days ago, I went to visit my friend whose son had met his wife in Brazil. I thought of you.

    ReplyDelete