Spring Flowers

Spring Flowers
For Sale

Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Friday Shoot out - Construction

The subway has come to Ipanema.
                                                             
In the plaza General Osorio, at the eastern end of Ipanema, The city is finally opening the next subway station. It take about 3 years for each extension of the system but they have promised that they will have the subway system all the way down to the Barra as part of the plan offered to the Olympic committee, in order to win the 2016 games.
 
I had heard that they finally opened our station even though there still seems to be some final details to be worked out. I braved a heavy homecoming downpour to take photos for you. The above ground entrance is done, and the tracks going into central - downtown Rio are working. I walked all the way down to the ticket entrance gates to see how the new station looks – seemed like a half mile or so.
 
The actual track seem to be about 5 stories below ground. A series of escaladers and moving walkways take you down, and down, and down again to the ticket sales, then there is one more level of stairs down to track side. It was possible to look up-track to were they are already working on the next section.  

 
I can't seem to find out were that next station will be but the way it works now you take the Metro to Ipanema, then with the same ticket you can catch a surface bus and go out as far as Barra Shopping. This station, and several others, has secured storage for you bike and some of the trains have one car that allows your bike to go with you.....
 
I think this is very cool and far sighted.
 
 
 
 
 
 
The long halls with their high domed ceilings are lined with tiles that depict the history, and the attitudes of Ipanema.
 
Well done city of Rio.
 
    I look forward to being able to take the subway all the way out to Barra, when the line fully connects this sprawling city.


25 comments:

  1. That's awesome!!! Love the murals.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your blog! I really need to know more of the information that you have here. I have some people that I work with that are in your area.

    Thank you for sharing your blog.

    The art work is really great. I would never have guessed there would be art like this in the subways.

    Tom Bailey

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very fascinating, Ginger. Thank you for braving the storm., It was well worth it with your great shots. We never hear about subway systems, here. In places, if we dig a tfree foot deep hole, it fills with water. Your post was very intrigueing

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ginger,

    This is great news!
    It looks so modern and clean, something Cariocas will be proud to show the world for years to come!
    Thanks for sharing.


    Ray

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks great! Wonderful photos, as usual.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like you had the subway almost all to yourself. Good Friday post! I like the artwork on the walls. I'm almost ready to post my Friday shoot...will have to remember to Mr. Linky it this time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just love those colorful mural!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great Shootout, Ginger. I like how they're making your subway stations spacious and with interesting decoration. A far cry from some of the neglected Paris stations, isn't it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great photos, thanks for taking us on a tour of Rio. I love the painted walls the best x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! That is a major construction, isn't it? I love the murals, they really brighten things up!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You know I love creativity and you always draw me in! The subways, oh the subways, if I could have my house painted like that, there would be no need for cluttery framed art!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love tile art! Hope you have a wonderful new year.

    ReplyDelete
  13. So interesting. It's amazing what cities can do to accommodate the Olympics. Love the art work on the walls. Happy New Year, Ginger!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, so shiny and new, good for Rio! Thanks for braving the weather to show us this, an underground Carnival on those walls. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Well done as usual! I love reading all about life on the opposite hemisphere. So colorful!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Terrific Ginger!

    You braved a storm and went five stories underground for this! I think you deserve the FSO Hero award!

    Have a Happy New Year. I hope your 2010 is the year ever!

    Barry & Linda

    ReplyDelete
  17. did I mention that after one story you are below sea leval? and at the bottom of the first set of stairs there was a pretty good puddle coming in from the rain outside?

    ReplyDelete
  18. impressive system!

    happy new year!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Ginger...great to be back and your blog!

    Love the pics of the new subway. 5 stories down...I remember when I would go to the World Trade Center...I couldn't look down on the escalator...always faced backwards.

    We have a new lightrail system near my house...it's just great because it brings us to the subway (NY/NJ)in half the time it would take to drive, not to mention the reduced cost of not having to park...and, it too allows for bikes.

    Hope you and yours have had a wonderful Christmas...and wish you many blessings as we approach the new decade.

    Peace,
    Claire / OWW

    ReplyDelete
  20. WOW Claire, so good to see you back. I have been randomly checking your blog to see if there was any action... hope this means you are resuming your blog. will be over in a bit to see.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh how fun was this!! Your city is just so alive and colorful Ginger!! I just love coming to see your blog!! So different from mine!! Love the murals of course!! Happy New Year hon, Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  22. You are real trooper, GingerV. Not to mention an excellent photographer. Great interior shots. Love the second to last mural the best.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Very cool looking - I'm so jealous! They keep trying to get a light rail line approved for Kansas City, but with no luck! I wish that I lived in a city big enough for decent public transportation :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. I'm amazed that you were able to wander around in the new subway while it was under construction - but I'm glad.

    ReplyDelete
  25. What great artwork in the public spaces! Our stations here are too boring and colorless.

    ReplyDelete