Spring Flowers

Spring Flowers
For Sale

Thursday, October 08, 2009

Friday ‘My Town’ Shoot-out - Silhouettes

This topic started out to be a real challenge for me. For the past 3 weeks, everywhere I went I carried my camera, hoping for something spectacular. Nothing, nothing, nothing. While in Rio, 10 full days – it was rainy or if not actually raining, gray with low lying haze. This kind of light does not make for pretty pictures. On Sunday morning Camillo and I walked to the hippy square, I basically have the street fair memorized but I like to go look the art. We passed a vendor whose paintings were of trees and leaves, and I thought I can do that with my camera.
 
DSC088544DSC088514
 
DSC088474

I was quite pleased with myself.

But once I got home and downloaded the photos, I found that the light coming in from the sky’s glare still allowed for to much detail – so I took them all (40) through the editor – darkening the shadows and am quite pleased by the results.

Not classic silhouettes but very much reflecting what you see when walking down Rua Prudente de Morais, Ipanema on your way to the hippy square.

 

 
 
 
DSC088484DSC088594DSC08856_jpgsilhouette4
 
I got so carried away with these few fun photos that I went through my ‘Around Rio’ archives folder and taking random photos already too dark, darkened them some more – WHAT fun! – I ended up spending about 2 hours playing with these results.
(sorry no concerned was taken with rule of 50/50 or rule of thirds – In this case I saw a shape I liked, I snapped the photo with my little Sony (almost worn out) point and shoot camera.)

  
DSC088584 DSC08853_jpgsilhouette6DSC00958_jpgsilhouette6
DSC05793_jpgsilhouette5 DSC04759_jpgsilhouette7  DSC00769_jpgsilhouette5

Just to prove to myself that I have a sense of adventure I will show you just one more that I really like …..
DSC00840_jpgsilhouette3

29 comments:

  1. Ginger, these turned out really good. I too kept walking around with my camera hoping for something spectacular and nothing. I didn't find inspiration anywhere. I just ended up taking some photos from my back yard earlier this evening. But I wanted something extraordinary.

    Your photos are really good. I love photos of trees. I also like the photo of the statue and the last photo. I think that's a cool silhouette in the midst of lots of color.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love what you have done, as I struggle through this one...you would laugh at all the photos hubby and I tried...I mean laughing out loud! Maybe I will post them anyway, just to show how we truly experiment!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful shootout. I love the statue with its hands raised to the sky.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like that one looking up at the building - neat idea. Also the "skinny" statue reaching upwards - nice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful arrangement!! It was great to visit you today :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. those are really great, Ginger! I also love your new header shot; I recognize that view : ) You captured it really well!

    I especially like your tree shots and the last one. Definitely Rio.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh I'm thinking you did just that - found spectacular things to shoot. I really love the one on the beach the trees with just a touch of color!! Wonderful shots hon!! Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely shots of the leaves in the first 3; especially like the second.
    The palms and statue too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The statue is great. The tress next to it are nicely composed. But you know I like the last one the best.

    Great job, GingerV.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, I love them all! Seems as if we all had some hesitation/worry about the theme, but these are wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really enjoyed all your photos but the shot of the balconies from beneath was very original and striking. Just an excellent job, as usual Ginger.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really love the bottom right one of the statue...so pretty! The different leaves look great, too. Don't worry - I'll have new sunset pictures for next week :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. love all the tree shots! great job. also love the new header pic you have.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The dome, the woman and the skateboarder are my favorites - I like playing with the shadows in some of my shots too.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wonderful collection of silhouettes. I particularly love the first couple of shots of leaves!

    ReplyDelete
  16. all gorgeous shots. thanks for the tour!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I really like what you came up with - the middle shot with the palm trees is really cool. I also like the perspective of the building.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Excellent silhouettes, Ginger!

    ReplyDelete
  19. You did all of that grafitti just for your shoot-out? What a girl! Your shots are memorable, as usual. Thanks for hanging in there for so long, Ginger. See you next week.

    ReplyDelete
  20. These are awesome! The one of the church and the blue sky is my favorite.

    (and I thought of you when word came out that Rio was awarded the 2016 Olympics! :) )

    ReplyDelete
  21. I like all the foliage. They make me think of fabric designs. This was a hard assignment.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Trees are always great subjects for photos. I like all your shots, but my favorites are the last two.

    ReplyDelete
  23. You did a great job Ginger, nice variety of subjects.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Your joy shows through, Ginger! These are stunning, as usual. :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Super silhouettes. I love the last picture even though I hate what is happening. Catching a moment like that is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Ginger,
    You did create art! I hope you frame some of these and put them up in your home...nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Great blog! I love the photos and the information. I will visit again.

    Please visit my blog at:

    http://theamazonforest.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hi Ginger, I just popped over from Barry's place. Guess everyone knows Barry and Linda they are such strong and wonderful people. You did a great job with your assignment. I am new to blogging and have been taking photos for many years but beginning to learn how to do it better. Never been to Brazil but have spent time in the Caribbean. Do missionary trips to Belize. Come by sometime.
    QMM

    ReplyDelete